For Immediate Release: May 12, 2017
AtlantiCare recognizes iCARE
Nursing Excellence Award winners
AtlantiCare recognized 29 winners of its iCARE Nursing Excellence Award during a reception May 11 at The Carriage House in Galloway, NJ.
The awards recognize registered nurses, advanced practice nurses, nursing support staff members, and clinical and non-clinical partners from throughout AtlantiCare. Peers nominated award winners for excellence in providing quality care and exceptional customer service to patients, families, and colleagues.
Robyn Begley, DNP, RN, NEA-BC, vice president of Nursing and chief nursing officer, AtlantiCare, presented Kathy Fowler, BSN, RN, with the second annual Lori S. Herndon ‘Make a Difference’ Award.
“Kathy makes a positive difference in patients’ lives,” said Begley of Fowler, who cares for babies, mothers, and families at AtlantiCare’s Roger B. Hansen Center for Childbirth at ARMC Mainland Campus, Pomona. “Colleagues and patients share that Kathy is supportive, compassionate, caring, and enthusiastic in her work. She has touched the lives of numerous families experiencing the joy of welcoming a new baby into the world. As a certified bereavement counselor, Kathy has comforted and counseled parents who have lost a baby, and made a difference in their lives during an incredibly difficult time.”
From left to right are Lori Herndon, RN, BSN, MBA, president and CEO, AtlantiCare; Kathy Fowler, BSN, RN, Mother/Baby Unit, Roger B. Hansen Center for Childbirth, AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center, Mainland Campus; and Robyn Begley, DNP, RN, NEA-BC, vice president and chief nursing officer, AtlantiCare. AtlantiCare Nursing awarded Fowler the second annual Lori S. Herdon ‘Make A Difference’ Award May 11, 2017.
“To be a good nurse is to be an artist in the medium of balance,” said Rev. Heather Sugden, MDIV, chaplain, AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center, Mainland Campus. “Nurses balance time and tasks, tender care and tough love, professionalism and heartfelt concern.”
The reception was one of many events AtlantiCare hosted in celebration of National Nurses Week, May 6-12.
AtlantiCare iCARE Award winners, guests, and Nursing leadership lit candles during recitation of the Nightingale Pledge.
AtlantiCare’s 18th Annual iCARE Nursing Excellence Award winners are:
- Barbara Applegate, RN, clinical manager, Preadmission Testing, Center for Perioperative Medicine, ARMC Mainland Campus
- Janine Begasse, BSN, RN, CPHQ, manager of quality, Medical Staff Quality Assurance, AtlantiCare
- Susan Leonard, RN, administrative nursing supervisor, ARMC
- Deborah Capiak, RN, ARMC Satellite Emergency Department, Hammonton
- Katie Elam, RN, Maternal Newborn nurse, Roger B. Hansen Center for Childbirth, ARMC Mainland Campus
- Kristin Logue, RN, Emergency Center, ARMC City Campus
Exemplary Professional Practice
- Amy Bromhead, RN, Neurology/Medical/Surgical nurse, 6 Harmony, ARMC City Campus
- Sherry Bush, RN, Endoscopy Unit, ARMC Mainland Campus
- Janneth Nuzzo, RN, team leader, Operating Room, ARMC Mainland Campus
New Knowledge, Innovations and Improvement
- Jason Ring, B.S., RN, systems analyst IV and team leader, Clinical Information System, AtlantiCare Information Technology
- Tracie Rodriquez, RN, Radiation Therapy, AtlantiCare Cancer Care Institute, a Fox Chase Cancer Center Partner
Caritas Nurse of the Year
- Jacinth Brown, RN, Medical Oncology and Infusion Services, AtlantiCare Cancer Care Institute, a Fox Chase Cancer Center Partner
- Patricia Foglia, RN, Progressive Care Unit nurse, 3 Harbor, ARMC Mainland Campus
- Mary Ann Michelfelder, RN, Trauma/Medical/Surgical nurse, 4 Harmony, ARMC City Campus
Colleagues and AtlantiCare leaders congratulate Patricia Foglia, RN, Progressive Care Unit nurse, 3 Harbor, ARMC Mainland Campus, on her Caritas Nurse of the Year award.
Partners in Caring – Clinical
- Gemma Downham, MPH, CIC, infection preventionist, AtlantiCare
- Leslie Koehler, MSW, social worker, Perinatal Outreach, ARMC Mainland Campus
- Amanda Monaco, RTT, radiation therapist, Radiation Therapy, AtlantiCare Cancer Care Institute, a Fox Chase Cancer Center Partner
Partners in Caring – Non-clinical
- Gunther, pet and therapy dog of John Hunt, corporate director, Safety and Emergency Management, AtlantiCare
- Bill Malazita, director, Facilities, ARMC City Campus
- Harry “Dale” McElhone, project manager, Construction, AtlantiCare
- Jennifer Tornetta, MBA, APR, director, Media Relations and Content Management, AtlantiCare
Robyn Begley, DNP, RN, NEA-BC, vice president and chief nursing officer, AtlantiCare, right, presents Guenther, pet and therapy dog of John Hunt, corporate director, Safety and Emergency Management, AtlantiCare with a Partners in Caring iCARE Award.
Partners in Caring – Provider
- Javid Iqbal, M.D., MBA, associate medical director, Hospital Medicine Program, AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center
- Brian Steixner, M.D., urologist, ARMC Medical Staff
- Palliative Care Team at AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center
- CHOP Physician Leadership
- Magna Dias, M.D., medical director, CHOP Care Network at AtlantiCare
- Jennifer Tioseco, M.D., neonatologist, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) and medical director, ARMC’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Virginia Laning Award
- Kermit Morton, certified medical assistant, AtlantiCare Urgent Care, Galloway
- Heather Wolverton, patient care associate, Progressive Cardiac Care Unit, ARMC Mainland Campus
About AtlantiCare Nursing’s iCARE awards
Each year, the AtlantiCare Nurse Executive Council recognizes nurses who exemplify excellence through its iCARE awards. The awards recognize nurses for their contributions to nursing practice, their professionalism, and for the care and services they provide.
AtlantiCare Nursing Services also distributes “Partners in Caring Excellence” awards to clinical and non-clinical staff who provide compassionate patient care and are role models for collaboration.
About the Lori S. Herndon Make a Difference Award
In 2016, AtlantiCare Nursing honored Lori S. Herndon, then executive vice president of AtlantiCare and president and CEO of ARMC and now president and CEO, AtlantiCare, with an award in her name. The Lori S. Herndon ‘Make a Difference’ Award celebrates a nurse’s dedication to the advancement of health in all aspects of the AtlantiCare community.
For more information about AtlantiCare, visit www.atlanticare.org, find AtlantiCare on Facebook, or call the AtlantiCare Access Center at 1-888-569-1000.
Jennifer Tornetta, (O) 609-569-7010, (C) 609-335-3446, email@example.com
Betsy Woerner, (O) 609-677-6016, (C) 609-385-6361, firstname.lastname@example.org
AtlantiCare, a member of Geisinger Health System, is an integrated system of services designed to help people achieve optimal health. It includes AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center, AtlantiCare Health Engagement, the AtlantiCare Foundation, and AtlantiCare Health Services. Its more than 5,500 employees and more than 900 physicians serve the community in nearly 70 locations. A 2009 Malcolm Baldrige Award winner, AtlantiCare was also included in Modern Healthcare’s Best Places to Work in Healthcare in 2010. ARMC became the 105th hospital in the nation to attain status as a Magnet™ designated hospital in March of 2004 and was redesignated a Magnet™ hospital in 2008 and 2013.