AtlantiCare Community Healthcare Access Program to benefit displaced Trump Taj Mahal Casino Hotel workers
AtlantiCare Community Healthcare Access Program – or AtlantiCare CHAP assist residents of Atlantic, Cape May and southern Ocean counties who will be impacted by the closure of Trump Taj Mahal Casino Hotel in Atlantic City. Funded by the AtlantiCare Foundation, AtlantiCare first offered the program to those affected by casino closures in 2014.
AtlantiCare CHAP highlights
For those who qualify, the program includes education, counseling and assistance around health insurance coverage and options; health insurance premium subsidy support; and a resolution for outstanding medical bills for services received from AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center (ARMC) before October 1, 2016.
AtlantiCare CHAP specifics
- AtlantiCare CHAP support will be available to any resident of AtlantiCare’s service area, defined as Atlantic, Cape May, and southern Ocean counties, who was laid off within 60 days (pre and post) of the closing of The Trump Taj Mahal, who meets financial need criteria and does not have access to health insurance coverage or benefits/stipends. AtlantiCare is also extending support to employees of businesses that operated within Trump Taj Mahal Casino Hotel. Dependents of eligible participants who are permanent residents in AtlantiCare’s service area and who are not covered by any other health plan or benefit/stipend are also eligible.
- The AtlantiCare Access Center will schedule individual, private appointments with AtlantiCare certified financial counselors, who will provide education about health insurance coverage options and assist residents who qualify in enrolling in NJ FamilyCare, or health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Counseling sessions will likely last 45 minutes to an hour. Appointments will be at AtlantiCare locations in Atlantic City and Galloway. Counselors will be available for follow-up questions and assistance. AtlantiCare has long assisted those who qualify in getting coverage. As a Certified Application Counselor Organization, AtlantiCare is certified by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to assist people with the Health Insurance Marketplace application process.
- AtlantiCare will cover up to 75 percent of the federally unsubsidized Silver Plan premium (capped at $1,200 per individual covered under the plan) available through the Health Insurance Marketplace for eligible participants. Participants must not be eligible for other state-sponsored insurance programs, such as NJ FamilyCare, which includes Medicaid, or any other health insurance benefit/stipend, including through a spouse, partner, parent, or employer/union. This support would continue for up to 12 months, as the participant remains eligible for assistance and remains current with his or her portion of the premium.
- AtlantiCare CHAP financial counselors will work to resolve outstanding bills or patient balances of eligible displaced casino employees for healthcare services received from ARMC prior to October 1, 2016.
- AtlantiCare will offer a free Flu vaccination to participants.
- AtlantiCare will also identify options for those who do not qualify for AtlantiCare CHAP assistance.
Those seeking AtlantiCare CHAP assistance should call the AtlantiCare Access Center at
1-888-569-1000 to schedule a private appointment with an AtlantiCare CHAP certified financial counselor.