How Can I Prevent A Heart Attack?
If I've been diagnosed with heart disease, how can I prevent a heart attack?
Above all, if you’re a smoker, quit!
- Keep your blood pressure low
- Schedule regular visits with your physician, physician assistant or nurse to monitor your progress
- Monitor symptoms yourself
- Check for changes in your fluid status
- Schedule regular follow-up visits with your cardiology team
- Notify each of your doctors about
- your heart failure
- any medications you are on
- any restrictions you have
- Keep accurate records and take them with you to each doctor’s visit
- Decrease your risks of progressive heart disease
- Reach and maintain a weight level that’s healthy for you
- Control high blood pressure
- Control high cholesterol
- Manage diabetes
- Exercise regularly
- Do not drink alcohol or drinks that contain too much caffeine
- Decrease your intake of salt
- Take medications as prescribed